Friday, February 10, 2012

The Next Effort

As someone once said, there is no rest for the wicked and the righteous don't need it.

I no longer know what "rest" is.

At the beginning of this week, I drove down to Tucson with a friend to take in a couple of the many rock and gem shows.  My stated intention was to buy some beads that I wanted to make into rings to sell at upcoming arts-and-crafts shows, and I did that.  However, while I was there, my day job called and informed me they would be adding to my daily workload.  No, they weren't asking me I wanted extra work or even could fit it into my schedule.  There really was no option to decline.  They had taken on more work than they had staff to complete it, so existing staff would have to do more, whether they wanted to or not.

Of course, the crucial part of this is that not only does the day job thus take more of my time, time I could have devoted to both my writing and my various craft endeavors, but it also puts additional pressure on my hands and fingers.  I've been lucky enough so far to have avoided serious repetitive motion injury pain, but every time I push the work capacity, the hands and fingers and wrists let me know there is a limit.  Right now, I'm at the edge of that limit.  I will not be pushed over.

So what can I do about it?  Not much, but there are options.  One is to follow through on my plans to get my other novels onto Amazon and Smashwords. 

I unexpectedly received a payment from Smashwords for copies of Secrets to Surrender that had been sold, and while it wasn't a huge payment, it was a reminder that there are people out there who are buying and reading these old books.  I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and get busy.

So I'm cleaning up Firefly.  With any luck, it maybe be on Amazon and Smashwords in the next couple of weeks.

And maybe I'll make a few rings out of those beads I bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment