Thursday, August 23, 2012

The only good word is none

Okay, you're all aware that there's been another stupid, irresponsible, and potentially dangerous author meltdown over a less-than-gushing review.  It doesn't matter who or why or what the particulars are.  If you're interested, you probably already know who it is and what the particulars are.  If you're not interested, um, what the heck are you doing here?  ;-)

But this latest adventure in total asshattery just reinforces my advice to ALL authors, whether they are newbie SPAs who haven't even sold a single copy outside their immediate family or New York Times bestsellers (and YOU know who YOU are, and you're making all the rest of us look bad) --

DO NOT, under any circumstances, respond to reviewers unless you are explicitly invited by the reviewer to do so. 

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN IMPLICIT INVITATION.

Got that, morons?  Unless the reviewer comes right out and in writing and in public invites you to respond, shut your piehole.  Shut it, and lock it.

And don't try to give me all your pathetic, whiny, insecure little special circumstances. 

THERE ARE NONE. 

And yes, I know that all caps is screaming.  I'm screaming at you, because that's the only way you're going to listen, if at all.

People who know me know that my politics are far left.  I make no apologies for that, and if you don't like it, and won't read my books because of it, that's fine with me.  Your threats not to read my books are not going to change my politics.

And my politics contain two absolutes.

Number One, I am absolutely opposed to the death penalty.  No exceptions.  None.  Not a single one.  I don't care how heinous the crime.  I don't care how innocent the victim or how many victims.  I don't care how unrepentant the criminal is.  No death penalty.  Never.  If you wanta engage me on that, you're free to do so.  Just leave a comment and we'll do this privately.

Number Two, I am absolutely opposed to any restrictions on a woman's right to choose to carry a pregnancy to term, or not.  In simple terms:  No limits to abortion on demand.  None.  No required ultrasounds.  No age limits.  No parental notification.  No waiting period.  No limits on insurance coverage or public funding.  No time limit.  If you wanta engage me on this issue, you're free to do so.  Leave a comment, and we'll do this privately.

And now for Number Three --  I am absolutely opposed to authors responding to reader-reviewers unless explicitly invited to.

You can give me all the bizarre scenarios you want, and I'm going to counter every single one of them with the reason why you STILL shouldn't respond.  Silence is ALWAYS going to be better than responding.

No comments:

Post a Comment