Sunday, July 17, 2011

Some of those 80s and 90s authors are here after all!

Now and then I have days when my brain's creativity section goes on lockdown and I need to let it recharge.  Yesterday was one of those days.  Events external to my writing life had put me into a funky mood, and the brain was telling me not to even to attempt to write.  So I didn't.  Maybe today will be better.

I put the time to relatively good use, however, by strolling through Amazon's Kindle listings on a hunt for digital reprints from those midlist authors I mentioned yesterday.  Sharon Ihle has digital editions available.  So does Shirl Henke, and in Ms. Henke's case, she is clearly listed as the publisher, not Leisure/Dorchester, which suggest she is reaping the financial benefit.

You may have noticed that most of the authors I've mentioned have written a lot of books set in the American West.  (Texas, though smack dab in the middle of the country and the Central Time Zone, is considered part of "The West," along with Kansas, Oklahoma, and the Dakotas.)  Not too long ago I did a stroll through the list of books reviewed at All About Romance and discovered there were damn few American settings.  European Historicals (most of which were England/Regency era) and various paranormals made up the vast majority.

With the explosion in digital publishing which will make possible the release of books that would not have justified a publisher's print run, I expect to see an explosion in reprints.

No comments:

Post a Comment